Sunday 7 April 2013

Task 5b: Codes of practice/ conduct

Working on this task made read through various 'Codes of Conduct' from different companies and organisations. Without research, I came up with the more obvious points: no stealing, no racism, no bullying, etc. Researching further into the subject made me realise that there is so much more to consider as a teacher. After having a look on the internet about work regulations, I read through a couple of blogs. One I found very interesting and helpful was Melanie Brown's blog about 'Codes of Practice'.

http://melaniebrown10.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/5b-codes-of-practiceregulations-in-work.html

She posted a link from the RAD (Royal Academy of Dance) on their 'Code of Conduct'
(http://www.rad.org.uk/files/ART255_Code%20of%20Conduct%20English.pdf) which is very similar to the 'code of Conduct' from the 'Council for Dance Education and Training':

http://cdet.org.uk/teaching-and-qualifications/code-of-conduct/


Looking at my previous blog and my thoughts on workplace ethics I realised that I mainly focused on rules that apply to students and not so much on my own behaviour as a dance teacher.
Looking at both 'Codes of Conduct' there are a couple of points that stood out to me the most:
  • Integrity
Behave fair and honest in all business and professional relationships, f.i. don't misrepresent qualifications or experience. Furthermore, it is vital to respect the confidantiality withni a working environment.
  • Competency
Continuing Professional Development ... This is the key to this point. I think it's a teachers duty and part of his/her profession to keep up-to-date on any changes there are in the dance industry. For instance, if there's a new syllabus for RAD exams, the teacher has to make sure that he knows what is required. Ultimately, dance is constantly changing and students come to classes to learn and if teachers don't know what they are teaching and don't know anything about it, how should to students learn from them?
  • Health and Safety
Teachers always have to make sure that the teaching facilities are adequately maintained and provide a safe environment for learning. Only with the right tools is it able to achieve successful teaching and learning.
  • Courtesy and Consideration
I think this the most important point and should be the top priority for any teacher: alawys promote and safeguard the interests and well-being of students and justify student trust and confidence. As teachers it is our goal to teach students and we can't do that without their trust and their confidence in us. I remember it being harder to teach students when I first started because I hadn't gained their trust yet and they didn't know me but now it is much easier to work together.


Both the RAD aswell as the CDET 'Code of Conduct' have helped me very much in my teaching and are a great guide for anyone starting out as a teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment